Monday, August 2, 2010

The effects

I'll be swimming 6.2 miles - from one end to the other in 65 degree water with no wetsuit - absolutely stupid

I've smelled like chlorine for going on seven months now. The time is nearing when I may be odor free. Actually, the smell of chlorine was much stronger in the beginning, especially when I would sweat. It would just seep out of my pores. Now, Ithink it's so far deep that even sweat won't release it...that, or my nose has grown accustom to my new fragrance. Besides, my odor, there is the hair. Brittle and dry and again, the stench of chlorine. Hair, I am sorry. I know it's not good to wash you everyday let alone twice a day. Please forgive me. Then there is my alligator dry skin, cracked toes from flip turns, constant google marks around my eyes, stuffy nose, pruned skin (which sadly I don't even notice anymore). In 13 days, I promise to give it a break.


I have the best neighbors and friends in the world. Thanks Cesar and Dena for sitting at the house time and again while I go swim when CV is out of town. And to Megan for being willing to babysit at 5:30 in the morning. And to Peter for finding me a pool while I was in NYC.


Tonight, during my practice, I got goosebumps while I was swimming because I was thinking about the race. I wasn't thinking about how cold it was going to be, I was imagining myself finishing. I'm going to take cold baths for the next two weeks. My body is ready. My brain is getting there. And, to be honest, I'm starting to get kindof (big emphasis on kindof) excited to do this thing. I swam 8600 meters on Saturday. Another 3700 tonight. And last week, I did about 16,700. I think I'm peaked....and tired.


Good night world.

No comments: