Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Age

The best thing about Facebook, for me, is reconnecting with my old high school and college friends. It's a bit nostalgic to reminisce, day dream of the crazy adventures we had. Here's to the good old days.



I was just typing my best friend from middle school and high school (before I ditched everyone for a guy) and while it's fun to reconnect, it makes me sad to know that 15-20 years have passed. 15 years that have been missed with someone I was so close to. Like sisters with. We were attached at the hip.



In my mind, thinking about those times, they seem like yesterday. I can remember the smell of of early morning track meets. I can hear the loud buzz of people congregating in the commons between classes or at lunch. I can see people's faces so clearly. Hear teachers talking. Remember Yearbook class, or Flag practice, or getting out of swim practice past dark in the cold. I can remember making waffles (all the time), slumber parties, first cars, first kisses, first best friends.



And grad school. Well, I remember Madonna concerts, parties, bars, and crazy (and I do mean crazy) girls weekends. Here's to BFF's, Rachel. To watching each other mature (or get old, which ever is easier on the ears), seeing each other get married, be professional business women, have kids. Here's to, in many ways, a simpler life. Where we enjoy smaller, more intimate dinner gatherings, with good wine, good food, and good company.



I can remember it all like it was yesterday and yet over 20 years have passed since I was in middle/high school; I went to college and graduate school, I'm a home owner four times over, an accomplished business professional, a mother, a wife, an aunt. I'm old!



When did this happen? When did I reach my mid-30's? Where did high school go? College? Youth?



While I wouldn't trade a day of my life, it's super fun to look back; to see old friends, reminisce about youth, being naive. Everything that has happened has gotten me to where I am today, even if I do feel a little old. Nothing that a day at the spa or shopping won't cure.

No comments: